Tuesday, May 27, 2008

MBA Update

Well, to give a little introduction I need to explain what has been going on lately. First, I had been applying to graduate schools for the past 5 months and had been slowing getting my responses. I first applied to UCLA and BYU. UCLA was a little of a long shot, but would have been a great experience. It was probably my second choice, but I wasn't accepted.

My first choice, being BYU, put me on hold. This is usually a common theme for those that apply early so that they can compare you to other students. Then, I got an interview invite! It went really well, but I got put on hold again!

In the meantime, I flew down to ASU and attended their classes and interviewed there. It was one of the most grueling interviews I had ever had. I was not prepared for how hard they drilled me. Needless to say and after a 2nd interview, I did not get in. I wasn't upset as I got to apply for free and I felt it was more of a practice experience.

After being on hold at BYU, I didn't want to miss out on attending for another year so I had to apply to USC, the most expensive, before their deadline. Two weeks later, I actually found out that I was accepted to BYU and felt stupid for wasting my money to apply at USC. I had 4 weeks to accept BYU's offer so I waited to see what USC said. I was again invited to interview, but only did so that I wasn't wasting the effort I had used to apply. It was a good interview, but the lady had absolutely no sense of humor! I waited a couple more days and found out that I was 1 for 4.

So here last weekend starts. I found out from USC on Thursday night, so I paid my deposit to BYU Friday morning. I almost didn't make it into work that morning as I felt sick to my stomach. I had even talked in my sleep the night before to Courtney saying, "I am so very sick, because David Archuleta lost!" Embarassing! Well I only lasted about 1.5 hrs at work before throwing up in the trash can. We had some clients in our office at the time, but luckily they had a sense of humor about it. I would have gone home earlier, but I wouldn't have made it. I definitely came down with the flu. I think it was the Chinese I had at Smith's. Too bad because its cheap and tasty!

I drove home and slept throughout the whole day. Friday night I checked my email to see that BYU put me back on hold!!!! What?!!! My adrenaline started pumping and I wrote back explaining all that had happened and that I was told that I had until the 28th. I spent most of the weekend in bed agonizing over not hearing from BYU till Tuesday. It all turns out that it was a communication error and they didn't know I paid the deposit. But they made sure that I was in.

So now it feels much better to know where we are going to be for the next two years. It would have been nice to go to CA for school, but I didn't see it happening after UCLA said no. USC, costing 5 times more than BYU, would have been out of my league. Even though, I went 1 for 4, it is good to know that I got accepted to my first choice. So now we are going to be selling our place and going back to school so that I can get my MBA. We are very excited and can't wait! Sorry for such a long post!

Chris

2 comments:

Brasher family said...

SO glad to hear that everything is worked out with BYU! What a relief! Sorry you've been sick, that's no fun at all!

Steph said...

Way to go! BYU will be fun. Rock on. :)